Thursday, December 30

Recap?

No, probably not.  I've been sneaking my way into the online run-blogging community.  There are so many blogs out there, it seems like everyone is running these days and they are all taking it more seriously than I am.  That doesn't really discourage me, in fact, perhaps I can be a better runner than I suspect.  Of course, I'll have to try harder.  Most of these blogs I have been stalking are posting a recap of their year including favourite races and personal records (PRs).  For me, there weren't any races in 2010 and I don't really care to recap the rest of the year.  Actually, I aim to forget most of it and cross my fingers than 2011 is hella-better.

This isn't all to say that I feel like 2010 was a waste.  I definitely wasn't a breakout superstar in the running world.  I didn't discover a long hidden natural talent.  But I did spend the last year and a half building up stamina, building some confidence and slowly learning to love to run without pushing myself too hard and hating it.

2011 is a year for goals.  I have been thinking carefully about the goals because I want them to be realistic and lend themselves to gradual improvement.
1.  Run a half marathon.  No time goal, this is a pure distance finish.
2.  Run a sub 28:30  5km
3.  Run at least three 5km races
4.  Run at least one 10km race
5.  Incorporate a core workout (yoga, fitness class or home workout) once per week
6.  Wear a bikini in public.  At 25 years old I have yet to do this and I don't foresee this getting to be an easier goal as the years go on.  Now or perhaps never.
7.  Cook healthy meals more often and incorporate more vegetables and fewer processed foods.  This would be a poor goal in the medical world since I'm not providing a baseline to measure against ("more" and "better" are very vague) but I just know I want an improvement.  Getting too particular may doom me before I start.

Seven goals is a good start.  Am I missing anything important?

UPDATE:
8.  Show up to volunteer or cheer (or both!) for at least 2 races in 2011. 

2 comments:

Anne said...

Welcome to the running blog community...we're a friendly bunch as you'll soon figure out :)

Happy New Running Year Katie!

Katie V. said...

Thanks Anne! I'm looking forward to being part of the community. Cheers!