Sunday, April 22

Edmonton Update

By this time of the month (3 weeks into the new jarb) I was hoping to include details of my new place to live.  Negatory.  There is no place to live at this time.  Thank goodness for friends that let you crash on their air mattresses.  First I was looking for places that someone was already living in and renting out a room however I quickly realized 1) that the second bedroom is always crazy small, 2) I want to start getting settled and get a say in how my place is decorated (ie. I want a fresh start).

It is much more affordable renting with another person.  The hitch here is that I don't really know anyone so I can look at great two bedroom places all I want but I can't afford to rent them without a second person.  Which brings us all to the obvious conclusion:  rent your own damn place (you adult, you!).  Fair enough.  But it might be lonely!  And one bedroom places are bordering on prohibitively expensive.  Plus, embarrassingly, I don't like being home all alone at night every day - I get a little skerd.  It wouldn't be so bad if I lived way way up high but all the affordable places tend to be on the main floor.  Does this thinking even make sense to regular people?

Verdict:  the hunt continues.  It should be a more fruitful search now that I stopped focusing my energy on moving into a furnished place.  Oh the furniture I could re-finish!

The Job:  Talking about work on a blog is always difficult.  There isn't much I can really say except it challenges my knowledge every day and I am working on building my confidence in the way I practice.  The politics at the new hospital are much different and more daunting to navigate.  In the evening after work I go to the medical library attached to the hospital and hang out there eating the cookies left for med students and read books about the brain.  Or I walk home across a lovely bridge to read books about the brain and papers about dysphagia in the dining room.  Trying not to come across as a total moron at work (which it how I feel most of the time).

Fun Stuff:  Trying to keep it real I'll be house sitting (ie playing with a small dog) for a co-worker next week in a new area of the city.  The dysphagia jedi master has also invited me to paint beehives for her new bee farm.  Update with pictures to come when the painting is finished.

No comments: