Tuesday, February 14

Courageous Dorkery

This happened last Thursday however it took me a while to decide whether to blog it or not.  Let's be honest though, I have no shame.  At least this post will make my dad happy - or very, very sad.  That it has come to this.  THIS being speed dating.  I like to entertain myself by trying things that I haven't tried and then blogging about them.  This wasn't regular speed dating it was nerdy speed dating at a library.  I saw the sign (because I am at the library at least once a week) and told a friend (Skipper).  She was set on making me do it and decided to try it too because, hey, literate men!

The library ladies clearly had fun with this.  They had a plethora of rules, some complicated moving around, live piano music and a reward of wine post-fast dates.  They even had us bring a favourite book to break the ice.  Luckily the amount I talk is directly proportionate to my level of awkwardness - besides, talking about books is natural for me.  Before the official boy-girl chats began the genders had arranged themselves in exclusive circles, perhaps saving up the best conversational bits for the 4 big minutes.  With the piano playing for the "dates" and stopping to signal a change - a sort of hot potato mixer.

The ratio wasn't great to start - almost double the ladies as the mens but they made it work.  I turned on the incredibly awkward charm that apparently works with nerdy boys and landed myself 5 numbers (or 85% of the possible numbers available).  Not a bad haul.  At least good for the self-esteem.  No mega love connections but we'll see.  Perhaps I have found a new hobby - speed dating in random venues.

3 comments:

Beth said...

courageous dorkery is the best kind. i think this is great!!

curious: do you feel like it is easy to know someone/be yourself in a 4 min context?

(i also find my nervous talker tendencies have helped me in date situations...i should start embracing that part of me!)

Lindi said...

I was gonna do this when I moved to GP! They were having a speed dating thing at the library, but they had to cancel it at the last minute for some reason. Good job!

Nike said...

Wet, sloppy ground require rubber boots or snake boots (if you hunt in the south). true religion jeans These are the tallest boots you'll find. Be sure your ankles fit snugly, so the boots won't pull off in the mud; and you'll want side cinches or buckles at the top to eliminate a noisy, sloppy fit when you walk--and to help seal out moisture. A removable foot bed is a plus, babyliss pro hair dryer as rubber boots become damp and don't dry out easily overnight unless you use boot dryers. Be sure to check the outer sole for cleats or lugs--a necessity for good traction in the mud. Rubber boots are not comfortable if you're going to be doing extensive walking on uneven ground , Suzuki Fairings as they lack adequate support and cushioning needed for longer treks.